Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 79 - Flashes of Inspiration



… are in short supply right now. There are lots of flashes of lightning
around the dark horizon as I write this blog, but those are the only
flashy-type things happening on this bit of ocean right now.

I'm absolutely stupid with tiredness, so I'm going to keep this really
short – with apologies for my brevity. But I needed to let you know I'm
still alive!

Headline is: it's been a good productive day at the oars. I've regained
another 23 miles of lost latitude, and am almost back to where I was
before the wind and currents started sweeping me north.

I won't say the weather has been helping me, but it hasn't been
hindering me either. For most of today there has been no wind at all –
which has made for VERY hot rowing conditions.

There was a notable exception at about 2pm, when a big cloud came over
and in the space of a minute – literally – the wind went from 0 knots to
40 knots. It lasted about 10 minutes, and then subsided again almost as
quickly. I was caught off-guard, with the sun canopy up, and it was
banging about like a demented thing. But fortunately no damage done.

So, in the absence of wind assistance, I've been rowing my little heart
out, and am now as pooped as a booby-pooped poop deck. So I'm going to
bed. Sorry! Will try to be more creative tomorrow.

[photo: Continuing the aerial bombardment of my boat, this chap landed
on my deck this morning. Any offers as to identity? I'm guessing that
big pointy thing on his schnozz is going to be indicative of his name –
or is it just a very small marlin? Baseball cap included for scale.]

Other Stuff:

Rave of the Day: rediscovered a bag of powdered coconut milk from
Wilderness Family Naturals, and added a spoonful or two to my dinnertime
curry. Delicious!! Definitely my new favorite meal.

Crave of the Day: white fluffy towels and crisp white sheets. Ahhhh,
sigh!


A new batch donations has come in – thank you Rozlings!! Special thank
yous today to: Edward Gutman, Ian Wilkie, Jennifer Eggers, Nancy Glenn
(special hello to Nancy!), Bill Spinks, Mary Dionne, Keith Ferstl,
Margaret Taylor, and Sarah Watson. (Thanks, Sarah!!!!) This is SO kind
of you – it's not just the money, it's knowing that you care. I truly
appreciate your generosity of spirit.

Weather report:

Position at 2310 HST: 02 16.105N, 177 02.609W
Wind: as described above
Seas: 2-5ft E
Weather: as described above

Weather forecast courtesy of weatherguy.com

Latest tracker reported your position as: 02 39N 177 05W as of 09Aug
2335HST.

As of Monday morning 10 Aug 2009. According to measured data, there
have
been Eerly winds up to 7-12kts and little significant rainshower
activity in
your area. 10kt Eerly winds extends to 01 30S then increase to Eerly
15-20kts then shift to SEerly 0-20kts. Winds continue to be very shifty
next
couple of days becoming Eerly 0-15kts by 1500HST 11Aug. Then shifting to
SEerly 0-20kts by 12Aug 1200HST. Uncertainty remains in the forecast, as
previously discussed.

According to satellite imagery, there remains widespread areas of low
level
clouds amongst scattered areas of deep convection. There is a
significant
area of deep convection south of the Equator centered near 03 00S 175
00W.
Rainshowers, squalls, and thunderstorms in areas of deep convection.

Sky conditions: Partly to mostly cloudy. Scattered moderate
rainshowers,
squalls, and possible thunderstorms.

Forecast (low confidence due to extreme variability in equatorial
regions
and naturally occurring small scale fluctuations in direction/speed in
the
Doldrums)
Date/Time HST Wind kts Seas (ft) est
10/1800-10/2100 E-SE 0-20 2-5
10/2100-11/1800 SE-E 0-20 2-5
11/1800-12/1200 E-SE 0-20 2-5
12/1200-14/0600 SE-ENE 5-20 2-5
14/0600-15/0000 ENE-SE 0-20 2-5

Next Update: Thursday, 13 August